Every child deserves the opportunity to learn.
We help children get ready for kindergarten and learn to read by third grade — a major indicator of future success. We’re especially focused on reaching vulnerable children in rural America where early learning resources are scarce. Globally, we ensure that no child’s learning stops because they are caught up in crisis.
Even before the COVID-19 pandemic struck, 258 million children were out of school, including 130 million girls. And even when children were at school, many were not learning. The world’s children deserve better.
Hamza* has already had his access to education disrupted multiple times because of the conflict in Syria. Once his school closed due to COVID-19, he began trying to keep up learning at home.
- Girls were 2X more likely than boys to never set foot in a classroom.
- In the U.S., children living in poverty started school up to 18 months behind their peers.
- 2 in 5 children living in poverty in the U.S. had no access to preschool.
- Some 500 million children have had no access to distance learning.
- Almost 10 million children may never return to school following the COVID-19 lockdown.
Save the Children is a global leader in child education.
• We have delivered quality education to over 273 million children in the last decade — more than any other global development organization.
• We helped reduce the number of out-of-school children by one-third since 2000, resulting in 180 million more children getting the education they deserve.
• In rural America, we help more children get ready for kindergarten than any other nonprofit organization.
• We are working to make sure kids can learn during this crisis, with more than 300K kids served since the start of the pandemic.
Learn more about our work to ensure every child has access to a quality education.
We understand the importance of education for girl children. With your help, we can educate girls who may not otherwise have the chance to learn — changing the course of their lives, their children’s lives and the future of their communities.
Poverty in America
Across the U.S., the poorest children tend to have the fewest learning materials at home. And millions, especially in rural areas, lack high-speed internet and the digital devices necessary for distance learning.
Learn more about our child education programs.
We’ll be in touch! By signing up to receive emails from Save the Children you will receive a subscription to our monthly eNews, access to breaking emergency alerts and opportunities to get involved. To ensure delivery of Save the Children emails to your inbox, add firstname.lastname@example.org to your contact list.