The refugees crisis is the worst humanitarian crisis since World War II. More than half are children refugees. Help refugee children with Save the Children.
All children have rights which need to be protected.
Save the Children was the first global organization devoted solely to serving children’s needs, protecting them from harm and securing their rights. Today, we champion the rights of the world’s 2.3 billion children.
As the COVID-19 pandemic continues to spread globally, hundreds of millions of children face increasing threats to their safety and wellbeing – including violence, gender-based violence, exploitation and separation from caregivers. These threats could be even more severe for children living in countries experiencing instability and conflict.
We know the world’s children deserve better. Our 100-year history of responding to emergencies has given us the expertise and the global presence to deliver what’s needed now for children.
Every child should grow up a safe and supported, yet three quarters of children experience violence.
12-year old Salem* and his family had to flee their home when ISIS took control of their village and it was no longer safe for them to live there.
- 1 billion children experience physical, sexual or emotional violence or neglect each year.
9 in 10 child victims of sexual violence are girls.
- 12 million girls marry before their 18th birthday each year.
- 85 million children are engaged in hazardous child labor.
- 1 in every 6 children in the world is living in a conflict zone.
Save the Children protects children from violence and advocates for others to do the same.
• In some of the world’s worst disasters, we have led advocacy efforts that ensure children’s needs are a top priority.
• When an emergency hits, we are on the ground within 72 hours, saving lives and providing protection.
• We have created more safe spaces for children in emergencies than any other humanitarian organization.
• We are global leaders in family reunification, helping to support children and families as they flee unimaginable horrors.
• We helped achieve a 25% decline in child marriage worldwide.
• As the national leader in protecting children in emergencies, we’ve been on the front lines meeting children’s most critical needs in every major disaster since Hurricane Katrina.
Learn more about our work to ensure every child is protected from harm.
Worldwide, there are nearly 25.9 million refugees, over half of whom are children. Child refugees desperately need protection from a wide range of violence, including abuse, exploitation and neglect.
In fragile places like conflict zones, refugee camps and overcrowded communities, where people are already struggling to survive, COVID-19 could have a devastating impact.
Child marriage represents the devastating end of childhood for 40 million girls worldwide. It not only violates her rights, but risks her life, the lives of her children and the future of her community.
Child trafficking is a crime – and represents the tragic end of childhood. Children account for 27% of all the human trafficking victims worldwide, and two out of every three child victims are girls.
Learn more about our protection programs.
Read our popular content.
We’ll be in touch! By signing up to receive emails from Save the Children you will receive a subscription to our monthly eNews, access to breaking emergency alerts and opportunities to get involved. To ensure delivery of Save the Children emails to your inbox, add email@example.com to your contact list.