All children deserve a healthy start in life.
As a global leader in child health, Save the Children keeps children healthy and thriving.
We led the massive worldwide effort that helped reduce newborn deaths by over 40% since 2000, saving 1.5 million babies each year. Still, an estimated 5.3 million young children die each year from entirely preventable diseases, such as pneumonia, malaria and diarrhea.
As COVID-19 continues to spread globally, health systems around the world are overwhelmed. Children’s access to routine health services and nutritious food is in danger. High levels of hunger and malnutrition have also been exacerbated by the pandemic.
We know the world’s children deserve better. As the world’s leading expert on childhood, we have the expertise and the global presence to deliver what’s needed now for children.
Join us to learn how, together, we can ensure every child has a healthy start in life.
- Every year, undernutrition contributes to 3 million child deaths worldwide.
- 1 in 4 children under age five have stunted growth due to malnutrition.
- In Yemen, 85,000 children under the age of 5 may have died from extreme hunger or disease since the war started.
- 1 in 5 children in America struggle with hunger.
Every 39 seconds, a child dies from pneumonia.
- An estimated 80 million children are at risk of being left unvaccinated following the pandemic.
Save the Children ensures mothers, babies and children have access to health and nutrition services.
• We have helped cut the number of children dying before age 5 by over half since 1990, saving 122 million lives.
• We helped reduced by one-third the number of children stunted from malnutrition since 2000. Today, there are 49 million fewer stunted children.
• We transformed the way health care is delivered in the world’s hardest to reach places by pioneering programs that treat children close to home, so they receive lifesaving care before it’s too late.
• In America, we are working to make sure kids can get the nutrition they need during this crisis, with 6 million meals prepared and delivered.
Learn more about our work to ensure every child has a healthy start in life.
Every 39 seconds, a child dies from pneumonia. Pneumonia is preventable and treatable yet remains the #1 infectious cause of preventable child deaths.
Child Hunger and Famine
Even before the pandemic, 135 million people globally had been facing acute food shortages. Now, 130 million more could go hungry in 2020. An estimated 265 million people could be pushed to the brink of starvation by the end of 2020.
Learn more about our health programs.
We’ll be in touch! By signing up to receive emails from Save the Children you will receive a subscription to our monthly eNews, access to breaking emergency alerts and opportunities to get involved. To ensure delivery of Save the Children emails to your inbox, add email@example.com to your contact list.