Save the Children Statement on U.S. Presidential Election Result
Fairfield, Conn. (November 7, 2020) – Following the U.S. Presidential election result announced today, Save the Children CEO Janti Soeripto issued the following statement:
Save the Children and Save the Children Action Network (SCAN) together congratulate presumptive President-elect Joe Biden and Vice President-elect Kamala Harris. From COVID to conflict and inequality to climate change, the stakes for children have never been higher or more pressing.
Joe Biden has a strong record on children’s issues and we look forward to working with the new administration, the 117th Congress, governors and elected leaders at all levels to ensure lasting, equitable change for children in the United States and around the world. Save the Children is calling on the newly-elected President and Members of Congress to:
- Address the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic in the U.S. by supporting programs for children, specifically $50 billion in funding for child care programs and increasing SNAP benefits for children and families to ensure kids don’t go hungry.
- Protect the rights of all children seeking asylum in the U.S., especially children coming through the southern border. These children should be allowed to apply for asylum and have their best interests protected throughout the asylum process.
- Tackle the COVID-19 pandemic globally by supporting a COVID supplemental bill that includes $20 billion in funding to help address the worst impacts on children around food insecurity, violence, and loss of education – with a particular focus on supporting girls and children affected by conflict.
- Restore U.S. leadership on the global stage with a strong International Affairs budget request and by re-asserting U.S. leadership on global health, gender equality, humanitarian response and climate change.
- Launch a new initiative for investing in adolescent girls globally as a way to create a more stable and equal future.
In this critical time of transition, Save the Children is calling on all U.S. elected officials to focus on the urgent needs of children. You can read more about our vision for children today and in the future by visiting SavetheChildren.org/playbook.
Save the Children believes every child deserves a future. Since our founding more than 100 years ago, we've been advocating for the rights of children worldwide. In the United States and around the world, we give children a healthy start in life, the opportunity to learn and protection from harm. We do whatever it takes for children – every day and in times of crisis – transforming the future we share. Our results, financial statements and charity ratings reaffirm that Save the Children is a charity you can trust. Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and YouTube.
Thank you for signing up! Now, you’ll be among the first to know how Save the Children is responding to the most urgent needs of children, every day and in times of crisis—and how your support can make a difference. You may opt-out at any time by clicking "unsubscribe" at the bottom of any email.