Why Intern at Save the Children?
- Structured program with orientation and weekly learning opportunities
- Flexible work schedule
- Social and professional development opportunities
- Promotes academic, career, and personal development
What Our Interns Say
"I've been an intern providing support for our International Operations department for seven months. What has really made an impression on me is how intelligent and passionate my colleagues are about what they do; it's incredibly motivating." - Sarah Wakeen
Do you want to make a difference for kids?
Explore internships at Save the Children
Save the Children offers a number of unpaid internship positions in our Fairfield, CT and Washington DC offices as well as in some of our U.S. Field Offices. Internships are offered throughout the spring, summer and fall semesters. Interns will have the opportunity to work under the direct supervision of an experienced Save the Children staff member, within a specific department, to expand their knowledge of the humanitarian aid, non-profit industry, while at the same time develop skills and experience in their chosen field or career. Their work is focused on advancing important projects such as: program and policy research, internet and social media projects, communications and campaigns, and fundraising.
We require that interns work a minimum of 15 to 20 hours per week with a maximum of 38 hours per week. Internships are unpaid and we do not offer housing arrangements.
- Candidates must be an actively enrolled undergraduate or graduate student.
- Candidates must be eligible to work in the U.S.
- Candidates must be able to receive credit from their college or institution. A minimum requirement is a letter from a professor supporting the candidate. This is only needed when an internship is offered.
How to Apply
- Interested applicants should check our website regularly for current intern opportunities and apply directly online.
- Please attach a resume and cover letter to your application.
Qualified candidates will be contacted for interviews. No phone calls please.
View Internship (PDF)
||January to May
||June to August
||September to December
Save the Children Diversity Intern Scholarship
The Diversity Intern Scholarship provides funding to talented college students of diverse backgrounds who would otherwise not be able to participate in an unpaid internship experience. Internships are offered throughout the year in our Connecticut and Washington, DC offices. They are centered on the academic calendar year during the Spring, Summer and Fall Semesters.
- Selected candidates will receive a $1200 monthly stipend
Candidates for the Diversity Intern Scholarship must:
- Meet all regular eligibility requirements for Save the Children’s Internship Program.
- Be currently enrolled as a rising Junior or Senior in an accredited academic institution, or be enrolled in a graduate program.
- Be a member of a diverse community whose life experience and background lends her/him insight into, and skills that support Save the Children's mission of serving such communities.
- Be highly motivated with a track record of success and demonstrated academic and leadership ability.
How To Apply
- Search available internship opportunities and apply online to those of interest.
- On the application, make sure to select the appropriate box indicating you would like to be considered for a Diversity Scholarship.
- Attach a Personal Essay to your application explaining why you should be considered for the scholarship and how it can support your personal goals.
- All materials must be submitted by the application deadline date which is posted above.
- We will make our selection among qualified candidates based on the strength of their application submissions.