|Save the Children and Zynga Team Up to Help Japan Disaster Relief Efforts|
Eileen Burke 203.221.4233 (W), 203.216.0718 (M)
WESTPORT, CT (March 12, 2011) — Save the Children and Zynga, Inc. are teaming up on a fundraising initiative across more than seven games to support the global humanitarian agency’s relief efforts following the devastating earthquake and tsunami in Japan.
Zynga is giving its 250 million players a chance to donate 100 percent of the purchase price of newly created virtual items to Save the Children’s Japan Earthquake Tsunami Children Emergency Fund. The fund will support the urgent and ongoing needs of quake- and tsunami-affected Japanese children and families. Facebook is donating all of its Facebook Credits generated through the purchases to support the fundraising efforts.
"It's inspiring to see the Zynga teams spontaneously take action to partner with our game players worldwide to help Japan," said Mark Pincus, CEO and Founder of Zynga. "We hope that the millions of people who connect through our games every day will also take action to connect with Japan as we saw them do with our Haiti relief efforts."
Zynga players have the opportunity to donate in the following games, with 100 percent of the purchase price of these virtual items donated to the fund:
- Café World: Players cans place Japanese inspired decorations in their Café to benefit the initiative.
- CityVille: Citizens can plant a limited edition sweet potato crop to feed their population and stock their restaurants.
- FrontierVille: Players can buy a limited edition Kobe cow to place in their frontier.
- FarmVille: Farmers can plant a limited edition daikon radish crop that never withers.
- Words With Friends: Players can donate directly by clicking on a Save the Children button inside the game.
- YoVille: Players can purchase homes and furniture inspired by Japanese architecture and design.
- Zynga Poker: Fans going for a royal flush can donate by purchasing access to a VIP table.
- zBar: Players can donate directly by clicking on a Save the Children button inside the bar that sits across the top of their game on Facebook.
Zynga Inc. is the world’s largest social game developer with more than 250 million monthly active users playing their games which include FarmVille, FrontierVille, Mafia Wars, Zynga Poker, Café World, Treasure Isle and CityVille. Zynga Inc. games are available on a number of global platforms including Facebook, MySpace, Yahoo, the iPad and iPhone. Through Zynga.org, Zynga players have raised more than $6.8 million for world social causes. Zynga Inc. is headquartered in San Francisco. For more information, visit www.zynga.com or www.zynga.org.
You can help us prepare and respond immediately to emergencies and disasters around the world by contributing to our Children's Emergency Fund. Donate to the Children’s Emergency Fund
You can help make a difference by supporting all the work that Save the Children does to help children in need in the U.S. and around the world. Donate Now to Support our Mission
Save the Children is the leading, independent organization that creates lasting change for children in need in the United States and around the world. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
Justin Bieber Backs "Social Good" Facebook Game, WeTopia, Benefiting Children - December 22, 2011
Justin Bieber Backs “Social Good” Facebook Game, WeTopia, Benefiting Children
Tens of thousands of children caught up in Philippines flooding: Save the Children - December 18, 2011