For years, a complex crisis of violence, gangs and crippling poverty has driven families to flee Honduras and seek safety in the United States.
Today, the number of unaccompanied children being taken into border authority custody after crossing the southern border is growing dramatically. Save the Children is helping meet the urgent needs of children and families. Your donation today supports this important work.
Help Save Children in Honduras
Honduras, together with El Salvador and Guatemala, is located in what’s called the Northern Triangle – one of the most dangerous places on earth. In fact, Honduras is notorious for having one of the world’s highest homicide rates, including a double-digit child homicide rate.
Officially the Republic of Honduras, the country is one of the least developed and most unstable countries in Latin America. Gang violence is commonplace. And wealth inequalities are extraordinarily high, with the highest rates of poverty among rural and indigenous people.
In recent years, this complex crisis of violence, brutal gangs and entrenched poverty has driven record numbers children and families to flee Honduras to seek safety and protection in the United States. That’s why we’re hard at work for children – including those at risk in Honduras, those on the move, and those at the U.S. border.
Your support makes all our work possible for Honduran children in crisis.
Challenges for Children in Honduras
In Honduras, children’s very lives and futures are at risk, as they struggle with poverty, extreme violence, chronic malnutrition and illiteracy. Honduran children need your help.
- 1 child in 56 dies before their 5th birthday, 3 times the U.S. rate
- 23% of children suffer from stunting due to malnutrition
- 32% of children are out of school
- 23% of girls (ages 15-19) are married, and 1 in 14 gives birth
- 18 in every 100,000 children is murdered
- 30% of people live in poverty
Our Results for Children in Honduras
Thanks to you, we’re helping children, like 17-year-old Hector,* growing up amidst violence in Honduras – so they stay safe and aren’t forced to risk the dangers of fleeing home. *Child’s name changed for protection.
- 70,000 children healthy and nourished
- 35,000 children educated and empowered
- 10,000 children protected from harm
- 36,000 children lifted from poverty
Our Work for Children in Honduras
Since 1968, Save the Children has been a leading charity for children in Honduras. Our expert teams are working with local communities to provide health and nutrition, education and livelihoods, protection and peace-building programs. What’s more, we’re empowering vulnerable families and communities to build resilience, improve food security and so much more to ensure that no child goes hungry.
Our strategy in response to regional migration aims to support children, youth and families at risk, on the move and in their destinations, as well as those who remain in their communities. We also assist with the reintegration of deported children and youth into their communities.
Here are some recent examples of our work:
- We’re working to increase the food security of families in coffee-producing areas by expanding access to and the availability of food, as well as increasing local health resources
- We’re strengthening our capacity to address migration’s root causes, so that children and adolescents can thrive in the difficult contexts they live in
- We’re reaching children and youth with peacebuilding and conflict prevention programs, such as our “Schools of Peace” pilot project
- We’re addressing gender-based discrimination and helping build equitable relationships
- At the household level, we’re encouraging parents to practice positive discipline
- We’re training civil society organizations and government officials on the prevention of trafficking and sexual exploitation
- We developed an information and database system to help with the safe referral of survivors of human trafficking and ensure their access to services throughout the region
How You Can Help Children in Honduras
Support Save the Children’s mission. Donate to help children in Honduras and around the world grow up healthy, educated and safe.
Sponsor a Child
Be the hero in the life of a child. Sponsorship drives lasting change in children’s lives, families and communities.
Sources: Facts and statistics have been sourced from Save the Children’s monitoring and evaluation experts, as well as our thought leadership publications, including our Global Childhood Report 2020 and Stop the War on Children 2020 report. Other sources include CIA World Factbook and BBC Country Profiles.
Photo: Caroline Trutmann Marconi / Save the Children.
We’ll be in touch! By signing up to receive emails from Save the Children you will receive a subscription to our monthly eNews, access to breaking emergency alerts and opportunities to get involved. To ensure delivery of Save the Children emails to your inbox, add firstname.lastname@example.org to your contact list.