Help Save Children in Burkina Faso
42% of children in Burkina Faso are out of school. That means nearly half of all kids in Burkina Faso won’t have the skills they need to improve their lives and break the cycle of poverty. That’s why education is a cornerstone of Save the Children’s work in Burkina Faso. With access to quality education, we help Burkina Faso’s children improve their lives and their communities for generations to come.
The Challenges for Children in Burkina Faso
With high rates of poverty and little access to healthcare or education, children in Burkina Faso need your help.*
- 40% of people live in poverty
- 1 child in 12 dies before their 5th birthday - 12 times that of the United States
- 27% of children suffer from stunting due to malnutrition
- 39% of school-age children are out of school
- 39% of children are engaged in child labor
- 32% of girls age 15-19 are married
- 1 in 9 girls between age 15-19 gives birth
- 71% of girls age 15 and older struggle to read or write
Our Work for Children in Burkina Faso
Responding to the great drought of the 1970s, Save the Children’s teams began working Burkina Faso in 1977. Today, children in more than 80 communities benefit from our health and education programs. These programs promote school enrollment, particularly for girls, as well as focusing on improving maternal and child health and HIV/AIDS prevention. We work closely with parents and community organizations to assess children’s needs and successfully address them. Save the Children also helps families and communities make pivotal decisions about village health, school management and economic opportunities that positively affect the quality of their lives for themselves and their children.
- Protected 18,070 children from harm
- Provided 73,677 children with a healthy start in life
- Gave 2,179 children vital nourishment
- Supported 1,750 parents to provide for their children’s basic needs
How to Help Children in Burkina Faso
Support Save the Children’s mission. Donate to help children in Burkina Faso, and around the world, survive and thrive.
Sponsor a Child
Be the hero in the life of a child in need. Sponsor a child and help them grow up healthy, educated and safe.
Sources: * Unless otherwise noted, facts and statistics have been sourced from Save the Children’s monitoring and evaluation experts and from the 2019 Global Childhood Report. You can access detailed data here. Other sources as follows: Population: CIA World Factbook; The World Bank, 2016; Unesco Institute for Statistics (UIS)
We’ll be in touch! By signing up to receive emails from Save the Children you will receive a subscription to our monthly eNews, access to breaking emergency alerts and opportunities to get involved. To ensure delivery of Save the Children emails to your inbox, add firstname.lastname@example.org to your contact list.