A 9-year-old girl studying at school in Karamoja, Uganda.
Give from Your Donor-Advised Funds
A donor-advised fund (DAF) is a type of giving program administered by a third party that allows you to combine the most favorable tax benefits with the flexibility to easily support your favorite charities. It is created for the purpose of managing charitable donations on behalf of an organization, family or individual. An increasingly popular charitable vehicle, DAFs are an excellent way to both simplify your charitable giving and facilitate your strategic philanthropic goals. DAFs allow donors to give cash, stock and other assets where the donor receives an immediate tax deduction when the contribution is made, but can grant specified amounts to the charities of their choice at a later time.
How It Works
- Establish your DAF by making an irrevocable, tax-deductible donation to a public charity that sponsors a DAF program
- Advise the investment allocation of the donated assets (any investment growth is tax-free)
- Recommend grants to qualified public charities of your choice
By clicking on NEXT, you will be taken to our partner’s website, which is not owned by Save the Children.
Main Advantages of Donor-Advised Funds
Donor-advised funds provide a number of benefits that direct donations to a charity may not, including:
- Simplicity – The DAF sponsor handles all record-keeping, disbursements, and tax receipts Flexibility – Timing of your tax deduction can be separate from your charitable decision making
- Tax-efficiency– Contributions are tax-deductible and any investment growth in the DAF is tax-free. It is also easy to donate long term appreciated securities, eliminating capital gains taxes and allowing you to support multiple charities from one block of stock
- Family legacy – A DAF is a powerful way to build or continue a tradition of family philanthropy
- No start-up costs – There is no cost to establish a donor-advised fund. However, there are often minimum initial charitable contributions to establish the DAF (typically $5,000 or more)**
- No transaction fees – Once approved, 100% of your recommended grant goes to your qualified public charity of choice**
- Privacy if desired – Donors may choose to remain anonymous to the grant recipient
** Sponsoring organizations generally assess an administrative fee on the assets in a DAF. These fees vary by sponsoring organization.
What Can Donor-Advised Funds Do for Save the Children?
DAFs provide an easy, flexible, low-cost method of giving which supports our work for children worldwide. These gifts have been essential parts of the lasting changes we make in the lives of children in need through our various programs and campaigns. For example, you can also establish planned giving beneficiary designations for giving as part of your estate planning and legacy philanthropy.
To learn more about making a gift to Save the Children using a donor-advised fund, please contact us at email@example.com.
We’ll be in touch! By signing up to receive emails from Save the Children you will receive a subscription to our monthly eNews, access to breaking emergency alerts and opportunities to get involved. To ensure delivery of Save the Children emails to your inbox, add firstname.lastname@example.org to your contact list.