Helping Children Learn All Year Long
After a long school year spent sitting in a classroom, many kids just want to spend their summers running through the sprinkler and going to the park. But a growing mind is like a muscle – if a child doesn’t use it, she could lose it. In fact, without regular access to books and math activities, many low-income children lose 2-3 months worth of reading and math skills over the summer. That’s why Save the Children is proud to offer our award-winning SummerBoost Camp.
SummerBoost Camp helps ensure that vulnerable children in the U.S. have an opportunity to improve their math and reading skills while receiving a full day of learning, skill building, physical activity and healthy food options to help put them on the road to success.
Why Kids Need Summertime Learning Programs
- Most students lose 2 months of mathematical skills every summer, and low-income children typically lose another 2 to 3 months in reading
- Summer learning loss during elementary school accounts for 2/3 of the achievement gap in reading between low-income children and their middle-income peers by ninth grade
- 9 in 10 teachers spend at least 3 weeks re-teaching lessons at the start of the school year
- In 2014, only 1 in 6 kids eligible for the federal Summer Food Service Program received meals
- Minority children gain weight 2x as fast during unstable months of the summer as during the school year
How SummerBoost Camp Works
Save the Children’s SummerBoost Camp provides children with a full day of activities that build skills, knowledge and behaviors that encourage success in school and healthy development. SummerBoost creates a camp-like culture that’s more relaxed than school – promoting a sense of community and camaraderie. Activities are a blend of academic and social elements, to keep kids engaged and learning.
SummerBoost Camp was named a 2017 New York Life Excellence in Summer Learning Award winner by the National Summer Learning Association.
Goals of SummerBoost include:
- reducing summer learning loss in reading and math
- providing opportunities for physical activity and healthy eating
- focusing on the community /community involvement skills
Explore Our Other U.S. Educational Programs
In addition to SummerBoost, Save the Children also offers these important programs in the U.S.:
KinderBoost – Before school starts, this impactful program helps low-income preschoolers familiarize themselves with their new school environment, make friends, engage in activities and build confidence so they can start school on par with their middle-income peers. Learn more.
Early Steps to School Success – This home visiting program helps parents become their child’s first and best teacher by offering language development and pre-literacy instruction for parents and their children up to age 5. Learn more.
We’ll be in touch! By signing up to receive emails from Save the Children you will receive a subscription to our monthly eNews, access to breaking emergency alerts and opportunities to get involved. To ensure delivery of Save the Children emails to your inbox, add email@example.com to your contact list.