Helping Children Learn All Year Long
After a long school year spent sitting in a classroom, many kids just want to spend their summers running through the sprinkler and going to the park. But a growing mind is like a muscle – if a child doesn’t use it, she could lose it. In fact, without regular access to books and math activities, many low-income children lose 2-3 months worth of reading and math skills over the summer. That’s why Save the Children is proud to offer our award-winning SummerBoost Camp.
SummerBoost Camp helps ensure that vulnerable children in the U.S. have an opportunity to improve their math and reading skills while receiving a full day of learning, skill building, physical activity and healthy food options to help put them on the road to success.
Why Kids Need Summertime Learning Programs
- Most students lose 2 months of mathematical skills every summer, and low-income children typically lose another 2 to 3 months in reading
- Summer learning loss during elementary school accounts for 2/3 of the achievement gap in reading between low-income children and their middle-income peers by ninth grade
- 9 in 10 teachers spend at least 3 weeks re-teaching lessons at the start of the school year
- In 2014, only 1 in 6 kids eligible for the federal Summer Food Service Program received meals
- Minority children gain weight 2x as fast during unstable months of the summer as during the school year
How SummerBoost Camp Works
Save the Children’s SummerBoost Camp provides children with a full day of activities that build skills, knowledge and behaviors that encourage success in school and healthy development. SummerBoost creates a camp-like culture that’s more relaxed than school – promoting a sense of community and camaraderie. Activities are a blend of academic and social elements, to keep kids engaged and learning.
SummerBoost Camp was named a 2017 New York Life Excellence in Summer Learning Award winner by the National Summer Learning Association.
Goals of SummerBoost include:
- reducing summer learning loss in reading and math
- providing opportunities for physical activity and healthy eating
- focusing on the community /community involvement skills
Explore Our Other U.S. Educational Programs
In addition to SummerBoost, Save the Children also offers these important programs in the U.S.:
KinderBoost – Before school starts, this impactful program helps low-income preschoolers familiarize themselves with their new school environment, make friends, engage in activities and build confidence so they can start school on par with their middle-income peers. Learn more.
Early Steps to School Success – This home visiting program helps parents become their child’s first and best teacher by offering language development and pre-literacy instruction for parents and their children up to age 5. Learn more.
Thank you for signing up! Now, you’ll be among the first to know how Save the Children is responding to the most urgent needs of children, every day and in times of crisis—and how your support can make a difference. You may opt-out at any time by clicking "unsubscribe" at the bottom of any email.