Hundreds of Children in Calais Jungle Still at Risk as Bulldozers Move in

FAIRFIELD, Conn. (October 25, 2016) — As bulldozers move in to demolish the Calais "Jungle" camp, Save the Children is warning that hundreds of unaccompanied children still have not been able to register and have nowhere safe to stay. Staff on the ground say children need to be to be moved to a secure area immediately, as the situation is increasingly volatile and tense.

Unaccompanied minors have to register with the authorities before they can be moved to the "container" camp, a fenced-off area that has been allocated for children to stay in shipping containers while the rest of the Jungle is destroyed. About 800 children have already been moved into this area, but registration closed at approximately 12:30 p.m. local time with dozens of children left outside and no further information given.

"Refugees and unaccompanied children have been lining up in a calm and orderly way so far, but there's a huge amount of confusion and lack of information," said Dorothy Sang, a Save the Children aid worker in the camp. "In the last hour the situation has become increasingly tense. There is a massive police presence here and diggers appear to be moving into the camp now, so it's potentially very frightening for the children who don't have a place to stay yet."

Save the Children is also concerned about the children who are in the "container camp", which child protection charities have not been able to access. As the main camp is demolished around them, vulnerable children will lose access to the adults and services that have supported them.

"The French authorities' demolition of the Calais jungle is being rushed through without due care being taken to protect extremely vulnerable children," said Carolyn Miles, President & CEO of Save the Children. "This is a dereliction of responsibility, which is exposing children to acute risks.

"When a part of the camp was demolished earlier this year, 129 children went missing. We don't know what happened to them. There is every chance that this could happen again but on a bigger scale. We are urging the authorities to halt the demolition until they register and can protect the more than a 1,000 children in the camp."

Miles added: "We are really pleased to see a significant number of unaccompanied children from Calais being given a safe haven in the UK, but are deeply concerned for the fate of hundreds of children who remain."

Save the Children has been working with the Refugee Youth Service in Calais to set up information points across the camp today along the path that children should be taking to the registration point. However with no clear guidance from the authorities it is unclear where to send children tonight, or what the process will be tomorrow.

Save the Children believes every child deserves a future. In the United States and around the world, we give children a healthy start in life, the opportunity to learn and protection from harm. We do whatever it takes for children – every day and in times of crisis – transforming their lives and the future we share. Learn more at www.SavetheChildren.org.

Welcome!

We’ll be in touch! By signing up to receive emails from Save the Children you will receive a subscription to our monthly eNews, access to breaking emergency alerts and opportunities to get involved. To ensure delivery of Save the Children emails to your inbox, add support@savechildren.org to your contact list.