Hurricane Harvey has left a wake of devastation, forcing vulnerable children and their families to evacuate their homes, not knowing whether they'll be able to return.
To help children and families currently in shelters, Save the Children has expanded our emergency response programs in San Antonio, Houston and Dallas and are also delivering shelter supplies in Austin.
Save the Children has also expanded its emergency response into Louisiana, where a team of staff has already distributed infant and toddler supplies to more than 50 families. Save the Children has opened a children's area within the LSU Agricultural Center mega-shelter as well, creating a space where children can play, socialize and begin to recover from the disaster.
Hurricane Harvey Facts
How We Are Helping Hurricane Harvey Survivors
As hundreds of displaced families, including many with infants and toddlers, continue to arrive in shelters seeking refuge from Hurricane Harvey’s catastrophic flooding, Save the Children has moved quickly to provide the city’s shelters with the necessary equipment and services to keep children safe. Among other things, our emergency teams are:
• Delivering family-friendly relief supplies including cribs, strollers, changing tables,, baby shampoo, diapers and baby-safe portable tubs.
• Setting up Child-friendly spaces in shelters where kids can play and learn while parents manage their family’s emergency needs.
• Providing specially trained staff to help children dealing with difficult emotions that can come up during disasters.
• Planning for the long-term recovery, helping communities restore child-care, early education programs and children’s emotional well-being.
You Can Help Hurricane Harvey Survivors
• Give: Your caring gift to the Hurricane Harvey Children’s Relief Fund will support child-focused relief and recovery programs to survivors. Donate now.
• Share: Spread the word in your favorite social network about how Save the Children is helping children and families on the ground.
With experts calling Hurricane Harvey an "astounding storm" that poses a serious threat to hundreds of thousands of families and children in Texas and Louisiana, we at Save the Children are urging families and caregivers to talk to their children about the hurricane and take immediate steps to keep them safe.